Monday, November 27, 2006

Capercailie Hunt



This is a male Capercailie I shot the first day in the hunting season.As you can see its a large bird and not easy to shoot because they are very clever birds and good flyers.But they are so heavy that its hard for them to start fly uphill so they always fly downhill.

This bird i actually shot when it was still on the ground that is very usual when you hunt Capercailie alone.I shot this with my Sabatti shotgun 12 gauge and I used ELEY bismuth shots nr.3.

I have actually never tasted Capercailien but I am really looking forward to eat it!

Capercailie is almost in old forest especially in pine forest because pine is their most important food in the winter.

They can be hunted in many different ways as shooting them in the tree toops in the winter hunting alone and with dog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once hunted capercailie in Norway. I was with a group of hunters from Germany and was the only one lucky enough to shoot one. The Germans call them Auerhahn. There are so few left in Germany that they are considered high game (hochwild). They are only taken for trophy and not eaten that I am aware of. I had mine mounted as well. This is a beautiful bird that I would like to hunt again some day. I have never eaten one. Does it taste good? how do you prepare it ? Here, in America, I hunt pheasant and quail. I used to have a draghtharr also. She was a truely great hunter, named Uschi. Like you said, quite independent so I sometimes had to be strict with her. But she would point, reteieve, hunt dead, and retrieve from water. As she got old she contracted glaucoma of the eyes so I finally had to put her to sleep. That was a terrible day for she was my best friend. Now I have a dog that is half English Pointer and half English Setter. He is a good dog but not near as good as Uschi was.